The 1GB data plan is enough for a driver to run the Go-Jek app per month
Phone credits, data packets, fuel and motorbikes are the main capital to support the daily operations of online motorcycle drivers like Go-Jek.
tirto.id – Have you ever wondered how the online motorcycle drivers set things up before dropping off to your destination every day? As a member of the partner company of the online transportation ojek application, the drivers must have the capital dirogoh from their own pockets, ranging from motorcycle units to money for pulses to data packets and so forth.

Are their operating capital comparable to the income earned?

In the context of Go-Jek with 400 thousand drivers in 50 cities in Indonesia, every individual driver does have different characters ranging from his attitude about chasing the daily income until the decision about relying as a partner or vice versa.

Being a Go-Jek driver for example, certainly not the same as being an office worker or other formal workers. Increased income and fall into daily meals. Their income must be redeemed first with the capital to be dug from the beginning. For a Go-Jek driver the working capital is: pulse, data, gasoline, and of course motorcycles.

Wahyu, the driver of Go-Jek who was interviewed by Tirto, he used Honda Vario motorcycle usually cost Rp25 thousand per week. Furthermore, to connect the smartphone with internet network needs Rp60 thousand.

He is also required to fill the vehicle gasoline Rp20-25 thousand per day, it depends on how long he was driving. According to his confession, his working hours from 9:00 am to 10:00 pm or 13 hours a day. Obviously beyond the normal working time of the formal sector which is only about 8 hours per day.

Assuming Revelation takes a day off every week, money of Rp640-760 thousand per month must be prepared by Wahyu as the capital to be Go-Jek’s driver.

Zulfikar, a Go-Jek driver with Yamaha Vixion motor, when interviewed claimed to prepare money worth Rp60 thousand per month to buy internet data packets. He also had to spend Rp20 thousand, especially for phone credit.

In addition to data and phone, Zulfikar claimed to spend money worth Rp35.000 for motor fuel that digeber up to 13 hours per day. That is, assuming Zulfikar takes one day off every week, he must prepare funds worth Rp1, 380 million per month in order to become drivers of Go-Jek.

Then there is also Rony Indrawan, Go-Jek driver using Yamaha Jupiter motorcycle. Rony spent Rp60 thousand to buy data packets. The package is a Go-Jek special package, a collaboration between Go-Jek and a mobile operator. Money Rp60 thousand exchanged with 1GB of data and 200 minutes phone service.

“Just 1 GB to run the Go-Jek app a month, if not disturbed anything. If you want more secure 2GB, “said Rony to Tirto.

Rony still have to prepare Rp15 thousand for two days for the phone credit. He must spend up to Rp40.000 to buy fuel motor per day. With asumi Rony only working 6 days per week, he needs capital worth Rp1, 2 million per month to work as a driver Go-Jek.
, the Go-Ride service tariff, the official name of the motor-based ride-sharing service, is set at Rp1,500 per km for the first 10 km. Furthermore, if it exceeds 10 km, the tariff is changed to Rp3,000 per km since 10 km + 0.01 km. Different rates apply to Go-Jek in certain areas.

Honda Vario, the motor used by Wahyu to be the Go-Jek driver, has a fuel consumption level of 59 km per liter. Assuming he chooses a Premium type fuel, with his motorcycle Wahyu can then reach a distance of 177 km to 224.2 km per day.

He can get 15 passengers per day. If averaged, meaning that every passenger Revelation goes with a distance of 11.8 km to 14.9 km. Based on that calculation, Wahyu earns Rp7,56-10,80 million per month. When deducted by the initial capital as mentioned by them, Wahyu can pocket the income of Rp6, 8 million to Rp10, 04 million.

Meanwhile, Zulfikar using Yamaha Vixion motor, on average spend 1 liter of fuel to travel 37.5 km distance. Money amounting to Rp35.000 per day to buy fuel, if it is assumed to choose Premium, Zulfikar means a distance of 199.81 km per day.

Feeling the Capital Out of the Pockets The Go-Jekshare Infographic Driver

Meraba Modal yang Keluar dari Kantong Para Driver Go-Jek

According to his confession, Zulfikar has 15 passengers per day. When averaged each passenger then covered the distance as far as 13.3 km. That is, Zulfikar revenue can reach Rp405 thousand per day alias Rp9, 72 million per month. He can be able to bring home money worth Rp8.340.000 after deducting operational capital issued.

The earnings figures of some Go-Jek drivers, have not included the cost of consumption required drivers Go-Jek every day. In addition, the calculated passenger distance is the average distance by assuming the money used to buy the entire fuel is used only to deliver passengers, not to other transportation needs.

The cost of snack, cigarettes, motorcycle care, parking, until the fluctuations of the number of passengers, is not taken into account. Problem sharing of profits between the Go-Jek and the drivers did not enter the calculation. However, seeing rough calculations on paper, being a Go-Jek driver is indeed possible to earn income beyond the Jakarta Province Minimum Wage (UMP). In 2018, UMP DKI Jakarta is set at Rp3,648,035.

To get a more extensive picture of the Go-Jek driver scale. A study from the University of Indonesia’s Communication Studies Center (PUSKAKOM UI) last year could provide an additional picture of the income of Go-Jek drivers.

This study refers to a survey of 3,213 Go-Ride drivers active in the last 3 months, from a survey conducted 6-11 April 2017. The sample represents a driver population in 15 locations, with 50 percent coming from Jabodetabek area.

Interestingly, 77 percent of respondents admitted their income, especially those who were full-time Go-Ride drivers, earned above the national average of UMP, according to BPS of around Rp1,99 million per month. The rest, 23 percent admitted earning below the average UMP.

As many as 77 percent is divided again, among others 5 percent who claimed to earn over Rp6 million as experienced Wahyu and Zulfikar. While each 28 percent claimed to earn between Rp3,5-6 million and Rp2,5-3,5 million per month. In addition there are 16 percent who claimed to earn only Rp2-2,5 million.

The details of the drivers claiming to earn below the average UMP, 13 per cent for only Rp1.5-2 million per month, 8 per cent got $ 1-1.5 million, and last only 3 per cent per month less than Rp1 million.

For comparison, a non-full-time driver’s earnings alias still occupy other jobs other than as a driver, claiming as much as 69 percent earning above the national average UMP, and the remaining 31 percent vice versa. However, their monthly income above Rp6 million is only 3 percent.

This shows, a Go-Jek driver can indeed earn above Rp6 million per month but only a few are able. Experience experienced by Wahyu and Zulfikar he has to work up to 13 hours per day on the highway.

The capital money they spend will be proportional to the income if they redeem it with working time. So the main driver of the real driver is to spend time with asphalt on the road longer than the time people work in general.

Source tirto.id